With the winter weather here to stay, I knew a soup recipe was a must. I went to the market and picked out some fresh tomatoes on the vine for the occasion and thought, let’s roast these beauties up into a glorious oven roasted tomato soup! I do have to say this soup tastes like very fresh tomato soup, it’s no canned tomato. It’s rich tomato flavor brings out the melted cheesy goodness of a simple grilled cheese sandwich. Now go cozy up with this comfort food and binge watch some Netflix.
- 2 lbs tomatoes (about 5 tomatoes cut into quarter slices)
- 1 sweet onion cut into quarter slices
- 1 roasted garlic head
- 2 tbsp spoons lemon juice (or juice of 1 small lemon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey or agave
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Quarter tomatoes and onion and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add basil, thyme, cayenne, salt, pepper, lemon juice, honey, olive oil and toss. (every ingredient except the garlic)
- Empty bowl onto a baking sheet (no need to spray or put down foil)
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Also bake the roasted garlic at the same time on a different baking sheet - slice off the top of the whole garlic bulb to expose the cloves, place face down on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, roast in over for 20-30 minutes until browned and tender.
- Place all the ingredients on the baking sheet into a high speed blender. Add the garlic, the cloves should pop right out of the bulb.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve into bowl with a side of grilled cheese!