There’s something about this time of year in Scottsdale, Arizona that makes me so happy. Oh right, it’s the fact that the weather is seriously gorgeous. I’ve been forcing myself to walk around the neighborhood every night before it becomes unbearable. While we have the opportunity, let’s take advantage of the perfect 85 degree deliciousness by spending time outdoors. Spring training games are starting now and it’s the perfect way to gather with friends and family, get in a few drinks, soak up some sunshine, and watch the game! So here you have it, some tips on how to do spring training in Scottsdale.
Tips for What to Bring to the Game:
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat. This is Arizona and the sun is a beast! It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, the sun is known to shine! Plus, if you’re trying to watch the game and the suns in your face, you’ll be real happy that you came prepared!
- Water. Water. Water. Stay hydrated with water (so you can drink more beer).
- A blanket. Lawn seats are my favorite, there’s something about watching a game on the lawn that makes spring training so fun. But, be prepared with a blanket and make sure you claim your spot early.
Tips for the Game:
- If you’re interested in getting autographs, get there during warm ups. The players typically sign after warm ups and before the game starts. Make sure you bring something for them to sign !
- If it’s hot outside, make friends with the guys walking around selling drinks. They’ll give you the ice from their buckets to cool you down. Life saver.
- If you’re a guy, expect pretty ladies left and right. If you’re a lady, expect men to check you out. Take it as a compliment, you look smokin’! I don’t know what it is about these spring training games (especially in Scottsdale) they’re known for this. You’ve been warned.
Where to Eat Before/After the Game:
Old Town Scottsdale (Giants Stadium) is booming with restaurants, the list is endless! I know this area best, so my restaurant recommendations are for this part of town.
- Burgers: Rehab Burger and Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers
- Pizza: Grimaldi’s Pizza
- Mexican: Diego Pops and Cien Agaves
- Brats & Beer: Braut Haus
- Bar (beer): The Blue Moose & RnR
- Wine bar: Postinos and Kazimierz
- Healthy: Original Chop Shop Co. and Farm & Craft
What to Do Around Town:
- Phoenix is full of incredible golf courses, get a round in before the game.
- Want to golf after the game? Hit up Top Golf. It’s a dolled up driving range with a bar and restaurant.
- Go for a hike. Camelback (not for the non-hiker) is absolutely beautiful or head to Papago for an easier hike!
- Have kids with you? Try Butterfly Wonderland, OdySea Aquarium or the Children’s Museum.
Here’s the 2017 Spring Training Schedule to get you started!
Pants: Joe Fresh Jeans
Shoes: Scored them at Burlington for $10 – brand Apri (similar)
Clutch: Stella & Dot
FitBit: I had to include this, because I’m obsessed with steppin’